Restore Your Health
From disease prevention to management programs, choose from a variety of programs to help you self-manage your condition. Financial assistance may be provided based on individual need and availability of funds. Please register early as instructors require time to assess individual participants and make program adjustments based on personal needs.
Here are some tips for getting started:
- Talk with our Reh-Fit staff or your health care provider before starting an exercise program.
- Select low-impact and non-impact activities such as walking, cycling, low-intensity strength training, and stretching to enhance mobility.
- An extended warm-up and a gradual cool-down may help reduce the likelihood of aggravating joint pain.
- Spread your activity throughout the day (e.g., three 10-minute sessions). Set time goals rather than distance goals.
- Start slowly and gradually progress the intensity and duration of your workouts.
- Take frequent breaks during activity if needed.
- Daily exercise is highly recommended. At a minimum, do moderate-intensity cardiovascular exercise for 20 to 60 minutes at least four days per week.
- On two days per week, consider doing a lower-resistance, lower-intensity strength-training program with one set of exercises for the major muscle groups, with 10 to 15 repetitions.
- Take all medications as recommended by your physician.
- Realize that it might take up to six weeks to get used to your routine and figure out what works best for you.