Our continued goal is to protect you and others while staying active at the Reh-Fit Centre. As we approach respiratory illness season, non-medical face masks will be required to be worn while inside common areas at the Centre starting Monday, August 31. This will ensure we are doing all we can to protect everyone. This includes all members, program participants, and Reh-Fit staff.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Non-medical face masks will be mandatory while entering and exiting the Centre and in the changing areas of the locker rooms, reception areas, and other common areas.
- Masks are not required while actively exercising.
Wearing a mask in public is proven to help reduce the spread of COVID-19 and is strongly recommended by the World Health Organization and Manitoba Public Health. Thank you in advance for your support and adherence to this procedure. You can review our mask guidelines below and on our website reh-fit.com/safety.
It’s our ultimate goal to keep our community safe. We will continue to explore ways to keep you active during this time as we incorporate information available and evidence is gathered from other jurisdictions.
Frequently Asked Questions About Masks
For the enhanced safety of our community, non-medical masks are now required except while actively exercising, effective Monday, August 31, 2020. This means that a mask must be worn at all times, in the Centre (except while actively exercising) including when entering and exiting the facility and while in the locker room. This does not include when behind a private enclosure such as a shower or bathroom stall and when drinking or eating.
Wearing a mask in public is proven to help reduce the spread of COVID-19. Thank you in advance for your support and adherence to this policy. This added safety precaution also helps us to remain open to serve you and keep you healthy and active.
Are members and program participants required to wear masks at all times?
Masks are required except while actively exercising.
You are required to wear a mask:
- When entering and exiting the facility
- In the locker room
- During appointments and assessments (coaching sessions, physiotherapy, massage therapy, athletic therapy, foot care, etc.)
You do not need to wear a mask:
- While actively exercising on the cardio machines
- Walking or running on the track
- During a group fitness class
- In the showers
- While eating or drinking
Also those determined on a case-by case basis may be exempt for medical reasons (e.g., severe C.O.P.D., breathing or cognitive difficulties, or a disability that prevents them from safely wearing a mask). Individuals who are unable to put on or remove a mask without the assistance of another person are similarly exempted. These individuals must maintain physical distancing at all times.
Will Reh-Fit be providing masks?
We ask that you bring your own mask. Cloth and other non-medical masks are acceptable and are readily available for purchase at many local retailers and online.
Can I wear a mask while I exercise if I want to? Do you have any information about how to exercise with a mask?
While wearing a mask during exercise isn’t for everyone, we understand it might make some feel more comfortable. If you choose to wear a mask during your workout, here are a few tips for getting use to mask wearing:
- Take it slow and allow time to adjust.
- Allow for frequent active rest when exercising. For example, if you’re jogging, decrease your speed to a fast walk periodically to catch your breath. Once you catch your breath, you can speed back up again.
- Use shorter time intervals for your work-to-rest ratio.
- Plan for frequent breaks in your routine.
What are the best practices for mask wearing?
Knowing the appropriate ways to wear, take off, clean, and store face masks are critical. Using face masks incorrectly may hamper its effectiveness in reducing the risk of virus transmission.
Using a fabric mask:
- Clean your hands before putting on the mask.
- Inspect the mask for tears or holes, do not use a mask that is damaged.
- Adjust the mask to cover your mouth, nose, and chin, leaving no gaps on the sides.
- Avoid touching the mask while wearing it.
- Change your mask if it gets dirty or wet.
- Clean your hands before taking off the mask.
- Take off the mask by removing it from the ear loops, without touching the front of the mask.
- Clean your hands after removing the mask.
Caring for a fabric mask:
- Wash fabric masks in soap or detergent and preferably hot water (at least 60 degrees) at least once a day.
- Make sure you have your own mask and do not share it with others.
Source: World Health Organization
Does wearing a mask mean I can relax other measures such as physical distancing?
Remember, the use of a mask alone is not sufficient to provide an adequate level of protection. Maintain a minimum physical distance of at least two meters from others and frequently wash your hands.