Athletic Therapy at a Glance
What is Athletic Therapy
Athletic therapy specializes in the prevention, assessment, and treatment of all types of musculoskeletal issues. If you’ve injured a muscle, bone, or joint — or want to take the proactive approach of injury prevention — athletic therapy may be a great option for you.
Athletic Therapy includes:
- Prevention: Your athletic therapist provides education and recommendations on posture, movement mechanics, exercises, ergonomics, bracing and risks associated with participating in fitness, sport and activities of daily living with the goal of keeping you injury free.
- Assessment: Athletic therapists are experts at evaluating the type and severity of injuries by conducting a thorough patient history, a postural assessment, a gait analysis and a complete musculoskeletal assessment that looks for abnormalities in your range of motion and strength to confirm the injury and to find the cause for your pain so that you can prevent it from happening again in the future.
- Treatment and Rehabilitation: Your athletic therapist will recommend a personalized treatment plan. This could include manual therapy techniques (massage, joint mobilization, soft tissue release, cupping, Graston technique, PNF stretching), therapeutic modalities, physical reconditioning by means of a home exercise program using specific exercises to correct your imbalances as well as supportive taping and bracing to speed healing.
- Education: Athletic therapy views patient education as a crucial cornerstone to a healthy and rapid recovery. It is important that you understand your injury, the cause, and why you’re doing the exercises prescribed so that you can have an active role and confidence in your treatment plan.
Athletic Therapy is for Everyone
A common misconception is that athletic therapy is only for athletes. This is not true! Athletic therapists treat many different people and conditions from kids with concussions to seniors recovering from a hip replacement. Further conditions are not limited to the following:
- Acute injuries and conditions
- Pre/post-surgical rehabilitation
- Sprains, strains, tears, and tendonitis
- Low back pain
- Disc herniation
Athletic therapists can help — no matter your age, ability, or fitness level.
Athletic Therapy at Reh-Fit
Please note that athletic therapy is a service exclusive to Reh-Fit members.
Athletic therapy may be claimed through third party insurance.
What to Expect
Please note that this service has been temporarily put on hold as a result of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. We look forward to serving you again soon.